Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Sunday 12 August 2012

What's your take on...

Plastic surgery? Yes, no, maybe? I'm not a huge fan of the aging process (I got that 3-0 coming up in less than 6 months), but when it comes to my face and whatnot, I am not in favour of serious surgery. I'm not gonna stand on a soap box and say I'm never going to get injectables for wrinkles, but I'm also not going to think about it right now when I'm holding on pretty well. Some people I think start waaaaaay too early, then you're stuck with it for years and years. I'd rather do preventative action right now (good diet, good topical treatments), than be stuck on Juvederm or Botox form 30 onwards...that's not cool.

However, serious surgery for my face? No. No facelift or eye lifts or anything. I don't want to alter my appearance. I'm cute and happy with that, lol.

However, as with pretty much all girls, yes, there are some things I'd like to change. But this has more to do with my shape versus my appearance (don't know if those are different, but to me they are). Since losing my first batch of weight (30-40 lbs) I have turned from an hour glass to a pear. I am not a fan of pears. This means that I am no longer proportional. I am bottom heavy and I hate it. Ever since I was a kid I've been like this. It's really a losing battle considering my genetics. Take a look at my aunt's and cousins...you'll see the family resemblance. It's getting to the point that no matter how much I weigh, I'm going to look like a bloody pear. I also have excess skin from losing 40-ish pounds. That's a lot of jiggle going on down there.

So today, I went to see a noted plastic surgeon in Toronto about liposuction on my butt/thighs. Because no matter how much muscle I build, I still have these fat deposits that will not go away. I am seriously considering plastic surgery to change my shape. Because after 5 yrs of weight loss efforts I still don't look the way I want to. I have gotten so much healthier and I am really happy with that. But I also want my bottom to match my top. I have a 29 inch waist....with a 45 inch butt, and 25 inch thighs. This is so disproportionate and I am extremely unhappy with how I look on the bottom. I hate seeing myself without pants. With clothes on I am ok (minus the wideness). But as soon as I undress I am unhappy. I always turn my back to the mirror in my bedroom and undress with the lights off so that my bf can't see. Not that he hasn't seen me naked before, but I try to limit how often it happens. I hate that when I sit down it like pools around me. And that you can poke my butt and watch it jiggle. I can feel the muscle underneath, but I can't get rid of the extra layers on top of it.

I want to actually look how I feel. I feel small. I feel cute and pretty. I want to look the same way all over. So I went over everything with the doctor. He said he'd take fat from my inner thighs, and a little but from the outer (there's a bulge), and then love handles, and some from the bottom of my butt. He only takes 4 litres of fat maximum so as to not endanger his patients. He said I could expect to lose two inches from each thigh, and about 8lbs of fat. After 6 months or so if the extra skin didn't bounce back, then I could get a tightening treatment if I was unhappy. It's tempting. It's really really tempting. I told him that I am not so concerned with my weight overall. I know that lipo is not a weight loss treatment. It's contouring when you are at/near your goal weight. I'm at about 152 right now. I'd ideally like to be at 140 to even think of having the procedure. Get as small as possible then contour. That makes the most sense to me. So he advised me to work on the next 2-3 months on losing the extra 10 lbs or so, then come back for another consult.

Thoughts? Pro or con? I am obviously worried about the dangers involved in any surgery. I like how his clinic takes a moderate approach to lipo so as to limit the danger. There are doctors who take more fat at one time, but it increases the risks exponentially. I have read up on this doctor extensively, and he answered all of my questions. There was no push to do the procedure. He told me to wait and come back in a few months when I am closer. He was also very clear on what he could do for me and what the procedure wouldn't do. That's important so you don't have unrealistic expectations. Aside from the dangers, there is also of course the cost. $9600 including taxes. That's a lot of money. I could take a trip with that money. Pay down debt with that money. Save that money. Is it worth it to increase my self-esteem to spend almost $10,000?? I'm still wrestling with that one. Obviously it'd be on a payment plan. Probably around $300/month for 3 years. $383. Credit guy just called me. Maybe it'd be better to go through bank of bf....much lower interest, lol.

I'm not going to decide now. I'm going to get closer to goal and see what changes in my shape and what doesn't. I already do resistance and interval cardio, so it's not just that I've been neglecting one form of fitness. I honestly think that I was born like this, and if I'm going to change it, I'm going to need to do something fairly drastic.

What do you think? Would you consider it?

1 comment:

  1. I don't see anything wrong with what you are considering. You are an adult and you have given this a lot of thought. If this is what you want, then go for it. I think it is good that you know you are cute and pretty before you do it because you truly are. :)

    ReplyDelete