Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Thursday 21 July 2011

Diversification is Good :)

As I likely mentioned (somewhere), I'm an ESL teacher, and currently the director of a small language school in downtown Toronto. I love my line of work. Completely challenging, but also amazingly rewarding. When I was crafting my future, I originally planned on getting my PhD and becoming a university professor in English literature. My MA killed any inclination I ever had to do a PhD...hard and incredibly competitive in a very deep field. So after my MA I took my TESOL, reasoning that with this, and my MA, I could work almost anywhere, doing something I truly enjoyed. Fast forward a couple years and I have diversified into the administration side of things in my full time work, and kept my other toe in the water, so to speak, by doing freelance work teaching advanced students.

I am not sure what I want to do, but I am happy with the experience that I am getting. I am constantly searching for new challenges in my work (hence my stupid schedule), and today I just got a part time job with Humber College teaching academic English to either ESL or native speakers (my choice)...it's an amazing opportunity. If this goes well, I could teach some of the general education courses in literature, which would be amazing. I may have to work 6 days a week, but I don't care.

So I am happy that I am taking on this new challenge (the money doesn't hurt either!) but I am worried about what it's going to do to my schedule. I know how time intensive an academic English class is. Marking and planning is brutal. I already work 2 jobs. Where does the time come from to take care of myself? That, I have to figure out. For now, I am going to appreciate this opportunity I've been given :)

No comments:

Post a Comment